Friday, September 05, 2008

We Moved












After three and a half years the great suburban experiment has come to an end. Mark and I moved out of our home in Frisco, Texas and moved into a loft in a section of Dallas known as Deep Ellum. Deep Ellum is a bit north of downtown and is known for being a bit weird, very artsy and full of historic buildings.

The building we moved into is a former cotton gin manufacturing company and was built in 1914. Our loft is a corner unit with an unobstructed full view of the Dallas skyline and as an added bonus we have a 12 x 24 foot bridge that serves as our private patio.
So what do I say but that I am in love with my new home. The people that live in the building are the nicest people that I have met since moving to Dallas and yet they are the people most would look at and think what a bunch of wierdos. My next door neighbor drives a Harley and while we were moving in She and her friend actually helped us move a very large and heavy piece of furniture up to our place. She told me if we ever needed anything at all to just bang on the door. A lady down the hall introduced herself and brought us a couple of bottles of wine as a moving in gift, she wanted nothing in return. Everyone I have run into so far has a big smile and a Hi when you pass by. This is nothing like the Dallas I am used to. Most in Dallas always seem to be so consumed with their lives they don't even have time to notice those that pass by them. Ear to the cell phone, hand on the wheel and eager to tell you how busy they are, kind of like saying I am so busy that I really don't have time for you. I guess the people who are a little more interesting, a little less busy, and a bit more artistic have found a haven in Deep Ellum. I am glad that I finally found out where they are hiding.

No comments: